Puerto Rico's 
65 Infantry Regiment
  U.S. Army
 Translate this page into Spanish using  FreeTranslation.com.
This History of the 65th Infantry Regiment from Puerto Rico was written for departing personnel that were either attached to the 65th or fought along side the 65th during the Korean War. The microfilm from which I made a photo copy was of very poor quality . I will try to make a text file the best way possible.

                           THE HISTORY OF THE 65TH INFANTRY REGIMENT

    The purpose of this orientation is to familiarize you men , the men who have fought with 65th Infantry Regiment, a complete picture of the unit which you have served, some of it's outstanding achievements , and some of the things for which it stands. The Regiment has a history that would make any men who has served in it very proud to state the fact.
    The Puerto Rican Regiment whose name was changed to the 65th in 1920 , comes from the island of Puerto Rico , U.S.A. Which was discovered in 1493 by Columbus and named by him "San Juan". Although the island long been known as Puerto Rico (rich port) , the name San Juan is still retained by the capital, which is the island's largest city. In this city , the 65th Infantry Regiment has had its headquarters during most of its existence.
    The aborigines of Puerto Rico were of a stock called the Aruaca (Awawak) who were conquered by their bitter enemies the Caribs and were forced to leave their original homes in the South American Continent. They took refuge in the Antilles, where a part of the tribe settled in Puerto Rico and called it Borinquen. This was the tribe that Columbus found inhabiting the island on his second voyage to the New World in 1493.
    Columbus gave Puerto Rico the name "San Juan" in November 1493. Puerto Rico was given the name for the old military order of Saint John of Jerusalem, later known as the Knights of Malta, who carried a black background with a white Maltese cross as a symbol. This has been the shield of the 65th Infantry Regiment since its beginning.


Arms: Sable, a Maltese Cross argent
Crest: On a wreath of the colors, a lion rampart rules crowned
Motto: Honor et Fidelites


    The first body of native Puerto Rican troops in Puerto Rico was approved by Congress, March 2, 1899. Provisions are found in section 12 of an act of Congress, which states that volunteers be enlisted from a Puerto Rican Battalion , composed of four companies each having enlisted strength of 100 men . By  May 1899, the required number of volunteers had enlisted and orders were published giving the four companies the name A,B,C, and D .
    On February 12th, 1900, General Order Number 34 , Headquarters Department of Puerto Rico, directed that a mounted battalion of "Puerto Rican" be organized , consisting of four Companies designated as Company E,F,G, and H. On the 20th February , 1900, the same headquarters General Order Number 38 prescribed that two battalions of native Puerto Rican troops be known as the "Puerto Rican Regiment U.S. Volunteers".
    The Puerto Rico Regiment of Volunteers Infantry was mustered out on June 30, 1901 in accordance with General Order Number 72 , dated May 20, 1901 which authorized the organization of a new regiment to be known as the "Puerto Rico Provisional Regiment of Infantry". This was to consist of two battalions and a regimental bank. The second battalion was to be mounted. This organization lasted until June 30, 1908 at which time it passed out of existence.
    The United States Congress passed a act on May 27th, 1908, providing for the creation of the Puerto Rico Regiment of Infantry, United States Army, War Department General Order Number 100, dated June 16, 1908, making it a part of the Regular Army for the first time.
    In accordance with the provisions of an Act of Congress approved June #, 1916, General Order Number 4, Headquarters, Puerto Rico Regiment of Infantry, dated July 1, 1916, a third Battalion was organized.
    The Regiment was ordered to war strength on May 3, 1917 and embarked for Panama where it served in the defense of the Canal Zone during World War I.
    The organization Act of June 4, 1920 officially re-designated the Regiment as the "65thInfantry, U.S. Army".
    In 1940, the 65th Infantry was brought to war strength again , and underwent extensive training . During 1942, it was deployed along the coast and around vital installations of Puerto Rico awaiting an expected invasion of the island.
    On January 7th that year the Regiment sailed for Panama where it afforded security for the Canal Zone until December , 1943. During this time, the troops were given extensive training with special attention given to jungle warfare.
    The Regiment was then stationed at Fort Eustic, Virginia for two months further combat training before sailing for North Africa on March 7. 1944. They completed amphibious training at Port Auxtic Poules. On September 22, 1944, the Regiment sailed for France, landing at Marseille, and Toulens.
    The first unit of the 65th Infantry to be committed to action was the 3rd Battalion, which was on the line of the Maritime Alps at Poita Cava from 13 December 1944 to February 26th 1945.
    The Regiment was used on security mission and served in and around Kaiserslauternand Mannheim Germany.
    The 65th Infantry Regiment was awarded Battle Participation for the Naples-Foggian, Rome- Arne, Central Europe and Rhineland Campaign.
    On October 15, 1945 the Regiment moved to Calais , France , and sailed on October 27th, for Puerto Rico, arriving there on November 9th, 1945. 
    Until August 1950, normal training and garrison duties were conducted in that month, the 65th was assigned to the 3rd Division and ordered to Korea. The Regiment embarked 26 August 1950 and arrived in Pusan on the 23rd September 1950. It was during the long sea voyage that a contest was held to decide upon the nickname for the regiment resulting in the unofficial but well known title of "Borinqueneers", the men of the 65th were the first infantrymen of the "Rock of the Marne Division" to meet the enemy on the battle fields of Korea. Although Korea is a mountainous country, the same as Puerto Rico the first Puerto Rican troops to land in Korea found the country strange and strikingly different. The days in Korea were unbelievably hot, the September nights were winter like in their coldness, unlike anything the troops had seen in their native land. Winter fell upon newly arrived troops like a blanket of white. The troops saw their first snow and found that Korea arctic like in its coldness.
        At first the government had not anticipated a long winter campaign in Korea, and the men were desperately in need of winter clothing. The members of the 65th Infantry Regiment , some of them newly arrived from tropical Puerto Rico and Panama, others from the mainland's United States, fought the enemy with determination and efficiency. The enemy made many attempts to encircle the troops but each time they were successfully repulsed after having been inflicted many casualties by the men of the 65th. The Regiment successfully fought off the enemy with the great effects until the arrival of  the winter clothing which was so badly needed. The Government had prepared them clothing which was so badly needed. The Government had prepared them clothing especially for the Korean campaign. The members of the 65th dug themselves in and fought the enemy to a stand still and adapted themselves to the Korean winter as best they could. Spring brought a change in the weather and a rapid rise in the morale of the men . All through this first winter in Korea , the men of the Regiment had been fighting two enemies at once , the communists and the damp , cold Korean winter. In the course of the campaigns participated in by the 65th , the Regiment has become known for its preeminence at the point where the fighting has been the thickest. The 65th Infantry Regiment was a part of the Task force which enabled the Marines to successfully withdraw from positions held at the Hawach-on Reservior[1] in December 1950. After landing at Inchon, Korea and fighting at their way up almost to the Manchurian border, the Marines were engaged by the hordes of Chinese Communist troops and were threatened with death . They were encircled and had to fight their way toward the sea. When the Marines arrived almost dead, at their destination , the 65th was there with protection. As the Marines returned to the safety of their ships, the 65th Infantry was the force that stayed behind to fight and hold off the enemy. The Regiment held a rear guard action at the evacuation of Hungnam and was the
last unit to embark during the evacuation.
During Operation "Killer" , the Regiment played a prominent part and was the first Regiment to cross the Han River, which was the main objective of the campaign. The objective was to arrive to the Han River in January of 1951.
     The Regiment participated in the Uijonbu Corridor drives and was the first or leading unit in the United Nations offensive in April 1951.
      As a part of the 3rd Division, the 65th Infantry Regiment was a part of the 3rd Division "End Run" to the east coast of Korea in May and crossed the Han Tan River in June 1951.
      The "Borinqueneers" was the Regiment which took and held Cherwon in July 1951. There, they were instrumental in the breaking of the Iron Triangle of Hill 717. The Regiment was also playing a leading roll during Operation Commander on Hill 487 in September 1951.
       During the month of October 1951, the 3rd Battalion was Instrumental in the pushing of the MLRTO a new position further north, called the James town line which included the patrol base Hill 284.
        In the middle of November, the Regiment successfully fought off an estimated two regiment sized attack
inflicting an estimated 250 enemy casualties and receiving only 15 of its own.
It was ordered to cease all aggressive patrolling and to avoid any contact with the enemy in view of the possibilities of jeopardizing the "cease fire" talks at Panmun-jam.
        The winter 1951-1952 and the spring and summer of the present year devoted largely to aggressive patrolling.
        The Regiment stayed in the front line and in blocking until February of 1952 when the Division was pulled back into Army Reserve. The Regiment was then near Pochan and Changge-Ri and went through extensive training and re-equipping. The Regiment continued this training cycle until 3 July 1952 when it went up in the 1st ROK Division Sector. There it successfully defended the MLR for a period of 47 days when it was relieved by the 7th Regiment.
While on the MLR the Regiment saw action of CP's Cognac , King, and Queen and also
made several very
successfully company size raids or attacks on Chinese positions.

        The Regiment then went to Camp Casey to rest and train the new replacements. After some 20 off days at Camp Casey the Regiment was ready for more action and was sent to the Chak-O-Re Sector to relieve the 15th Infantry. For about 20 days the Regiment held the MLR and saw stiff outpost action on OP's Kelly, Tessie, Nicky , Bubbles , Big Nora, and Little Nora. Also in those 20 days the Regiment launched two attacks of battalion size against the Chinese held positions.
         The Division was then relieved and changed over into the IX Corps and began preparations for a 6 weeks training. The latter part of October the Regiment was committed in the Cherwon Sector where it saw action on "Iron Horse" , Hill 391, the lower part of which was named "Jackson Heights" after Commanding Officer of George Company.
          The Regiment moved off the Missouri Line around the middle of November and went into training until the 21st December. Then the Regiment moved on line in the Cherwon Sector area and occupied its assigned sector until the 28th February 1953, when it was relieved by the 7th Regiment of the same division.
          From the 29th February until the 15th May 1953, the Regiment underwent intensive training and for the first time in the units history, Continental Troops were integrated in the Regiment. On the 15 May the Regiment found itself on line once again with the majority of units being Continental Troops. During this month OP Harry was occupied by George Company who successfully defended the hill against CCF attacks.
            In June the 2nd Battalion conducted a series of company size raids on Hill 412 and proved its worthiness by their success.
            On the 14th of June the Division was relieved by the 2nd Division. After being in reserve for a matter of a few hours, the Regiment was alerted and moved in to the Numsong Valley to stop a drive launched by CCF forces against the 9th ROK Division and the Capital ROK Division. There , the Regiment successfully countered the attack and held the position until the signing of the truce.
            On the 6th August 1953, the 40th Division relieved the 3rd Division and once more the 65th found itself back in reserve near the Pochon and Changge-Ri and underwent intensive training until the present date.
            Since the 65th Infantry landed in Korea, it has been awarded battle participation credits for nine campaigns which are as follows:

        1. UN Defensive - 1950
        2. UN offensive - 1950
        3. CCF Intervention - 1950
        4. First UN Counterattack Offensive - 1951
        5. UN and CCF Spring Offensive - 1951
        6. UN Summer-Fall Offensive - 1951
        7. 2nd Korean Winter- 1951-1952
        8. Korean Summer- Fall - 1952
        9. 3rd Korean Winter - 1952-1953

[1] Hawach-on Reservior - This is a typo from the original document, and should read Chosin Reservior. In December of 1950 the Marines were at the Chosin (Changjin) Reservior, the Marines were near the Hawach-on Reservior in June, 1951.